(Me giving a public demonstration with the Gwan 棍 (Gùn, 棍) in hand at EXPO 26)
O Patriarca Chan Wa Sun 陳華順 (Chén Huáshùn, 陈华顺), Mestre do Patriarca Ip Man 葉問 (Yè Wèn, 叶问), era mais conhecido como Jaau Chin Wa 找錢華 (Zhǎo Qián Huá, 找钱华). Teria nascido em 1849, na aldeia Dung Ma Ning 東馬寧 (Dōng Mǎníng, 东马宁), na Vila Hang Taan 杏壇 (Xìngtán, 杏坛), distrito de Sun Dak 順德 (Shùndé, 顺德), província de Gwong Dung 廣東 (Guǎngdōng, 广东), China.
Sua esposa pertencia à família Lai 黎 (Lí, 黎). Com ela, teve o filho Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉), que, na juventude, era conhecido como Pei Yau Min 貔貅棉 (Píxiū Mián, 貔貅棉), “Min, o leopardo mítico” e, posteriormente, como Chat Saang Gwan Wong 七省棍王 (Qī Shěng Gùn Wáng, 七省棍王), “Rei do Bastão das Sete Províncias”.
Quando tomei contato com essas informações, era o ano de 2005. Eu havia lido a obra Complete Wing Chun: The Definitive Guide to Wing Chun's History and Traditions, de Robert Chu, Rene Ritchie e Y. Wu. Fiquei tão empolgado e maravilhado com as informações ali contidas que levei a descoberta ao meu Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父) Julio Camacho, já que o livro ficava no Mo Gun 武館 (Wǔguǎn, 武馆)* e pertencia a ele. Comentei que ele deveria fazer uma palestra sobre o conteúdo do livro. Ele comentou que, se eu estava empolgado, deveria começar estudando a nossa própria Linhagem primeiro. E ali começou o meu amor pelo estudo da Genealogia.
*Mo Gun 武館 (Wǔguǎn, 武馆)* é o local de prática.
Patriarch Chan Wa Sun 陳華順 (Chén Huáshùn, 陈华顺), Patriarch Ip Man 葉問 (Yè Wèn, 叶问)'s Master, was better known as Jaau Chin Wa 找錢華 (Zhǎo Qián Huá, 找钱华). He is said to have been born in 1849 in the village of Dung Ma Ning 東馬寧 (Dōng Mǎníng, 东马宁), in the village of Hang Taan 杏壇 (Xìngtán, 杏坛), Shun Dak district 順德 (Shùndé, 顺德), Gwong Dung province 廣東 (Guǎngdōng, 广东), China.
His wife belonged to the Lai 黎 (Lí, 黎) family. Together, they had a son, Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉), who, in his youth, was known as Pei Yau Min 貔貅棉 (Píxiū Mián, 貔貅棉), “Min, the mythical leopard”, and later as Chat Saang Gwan Wong 七省棍王 (Qī Shěng Gùn Wáng, 七省棍王), “King of the Staff of the Seven Provinces”.
When I came into contact with this information, it was 2005. I had read the book Complete Wing Chun: The Definitive Guide to Wing Chun's History and Traditions, by Robert Chu, Rene Ritchie and Y. Wu. I was so excited and fascinated by the information it contained that I took what I had discovered to my Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父) Julio Camacho, as the book was kept at the Mo Gun 武館 (Wǔguǎn, 武馆)* and belonged to him. I commented that he should give a lecture on the contents of the book. He replied that, if I was so excited about it, I should begin by studying our own lineage first. And that was where my love for the study of genealogy began.
*Mo Gun 武館 (Wǔguǎn, 武馆) is the place where we practise.
Lembro que, quando soube de Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉), sua história me impactou profundamente. E não pude deixar de ficar empolgado com a maneira pela qual ele era conhecido. Primeiro, como Pei Yau Min 貔貅棉 (Píxiū Mián, 貔貅棉), “Min, o leopardo mítico”. Você precisa entender como eu, aos 21 anos, li isso. “Que apelido incrível!” Mais tarde, comentei com meu Si Hing 師兄 (Shīxiōng, 师兄)* Leonardo Reis sobre o quão incrível achei esse apelido, mas não compreendia ao que ele se referia.
Segundo fontes secundárias, 貔貅 (Pei Yau) é tradicionalmente o nome de uma criatura mítica chinesa, geralmente representada como uma criatura auspiciosa. Mas, segundo essas fontes, existe um outro sentido contextual para o apelido. Elas explicam que ele o recebeu porque, na adolescência, tinha um temperamento difícil e frequentemente brigava quando algo não lhe agradava.
Essas fontes secundárias ainda citam: “Pei Yau zik si Waan Pei dik ji si”, 貔貅即是頑皮的意思, sendo que “Pei Yau” é associado a 頑皮 (Waan Pei). Nesse contexto, o termo Pei Yau está sendo empregado com o sentido de Waan Pei, isto é, alguém travesso, levado ou indisciplinado.
*Si Hing 師兄 (Shīxiōng, 师兄) é o "Irmão Kung Fu mais velho", alguém que começou antes de você.
I remember that, when I first learned about Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉), his story had a profound impact on me. And I could not help but feel excited by the way he was known. First, as Pei Yau Min 貔貅棉 (Píxiū Mián, 貔貅棉), “Min, the mythical leopard”. You need to understand how I, at the age of 21, read this. “What an incredible nickname!” Later, I mentioned to my Si Hing 師兄 (Shīxiōng, 师兄)*, Leonardo Reis, how incredible I thought this nickname was, but I did not understand what it referred to.
According to secondary sources, 貔貅 (Pei Yau) is traditionally the name of a Chinese mythical creature, generally depicted as an auspicious creature. However, according to these sources, there is another contextual meaning to the nickname. They explain that he received it because, during his adolescence, he had a difficult temperament and frequently got into fights whenever something did not please him.
These secondary sources also cite: “Pei Yau zik si Waan Pei dik ji si”, 貔貅即是頑皮的意思, with “Pei Yau” being associated with 頑皮 (Waan Pei). In this context, the term Pei Yau is being used with the meaning of Waan Pei, that is, someone mischievous or unruly.
*Si Hing 師兄 (Shīxiōng, 师兄) means “older Kung Fu brother”, someone who started before you.
O que lembro de meu Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父) Julio Camacho ter me contado é que Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉) só repensou sua conduta após o falecimento de seu pai, o Patriarca Chan Wa Sun 陳華順 (Chén Huáshùn, 陈华顺), e assumiu o compromisso de se tornar essa nova pessoa. Ele então participou do torneio das sete províncias com o Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn, 六点半棍) e teria vencido os duelos com tamanha facilidade que teria pedido mais dois confrontos, que também venceu. Mais tarde, esse Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn, 六点半棍) ficaria pendurado na entrada de seu Mo Gun 武館 (Wǔguǎn, 武馆). Por isso, ele teria recebido o segundo apelido, que era Chat Saang Gwan Wong 七省棍王 (Qī Shěng Gùn Wáng, 七省棍王), “Rei do Bastão das Sete Províncias”.
Sabe, quando ouvi essa história, decidi naquele momento que nada me impediria de praticar o Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn, 六点半棍) um dia e que, mesmo sem nunca ter feito isso até aquela altura, já era o meu Domínio favorito do Sistema. Por isso, quando subi naquele tablado (foto acima) para fazer aquela demonstração, havia, sim, algumas coisas em jogo. Vinte e um anos depois de ter tomado contato com as incríveis histórias de Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉), existem outras responsabilidades quando você se propõe a fazer uma demonstração pública.
Eu precisei me concentrar para não sorrir. Não queria ser mal interpretado. Por dentro, eu voltei a ser aquele rapaz empolgado de 21 anos de idade que sonhava com Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉), o Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn, 六点半棍) e todas aquelas histórias. Eu havia realizado meu sonho de praticar com o bastão, e ali estava eu, demonstrando esse sonho publicamente. Eu realmente estava muito feliz e emocionado ao mesmo tempo, porque lembrava de toda a trajetória até aquela demonstração pública. Senti meu coração se preencher.
What I remember my Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父), Julio Camacho, telling me is that Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉) only reconsidered his conduct after the death of his father, Patriarch Chan Wa Sun 陳華順 (Chén Huáshùn, 陈华顺), and made a commitment to become this new person. He then took part in the Seven Provinces tournament with Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn, 六点半棍) and is said to have won the bouts with such ease that he asked for two additional matches, which he also won. Later, this Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn, 六点半棍) was hung at the entrance to his Mo Gun 武館 (Wǔguǎn, 武馆). For this reason, he is said to have received his second nickname, Chat Saang Gwan Wong 七省棍王 (Qī Shěng Gùn Wáng, 七省棍王), “King of the Staff of the Seven Provinces”.
You know, when I heard this story, I decided at that very moment that nothing would prevent me from practising Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn, 六点半棍) one day, and that, even though I had never practised it up to that point, it was already my favourite Domain in the System. That is why, when I stepped onto that platform (photo above) to give that demonstration, there were, indeed, a few things at stake. Twenty-one years after I first came into contact with the incredible stories of Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉), there are different responsibilities when you undertake a public demonstration.
I had to concentrate so that I would not smile. I did not want to be misunderstood. Inside, I became that excited 21-year-old young man again, the one who dreamed of Chan Yu Min 陳汝棉 (Chén Rǔmián, 陈汝棉), Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn, 六点半棍), and all those stories. I had fulfilled my dream of practising with the staff, and there I was, publicly demonstrating that dream. I was genuinely very happy and deeply moved at the same time, because I was remembering the entire journey that had led me to that public demonstration. I felt my heart fill up.
Foram segundos de demonstração, mas, para viver aqueles segundos, eu precisei de 21 anos. Me senti agradecido por aquela oportunidade. Essa oportunidade também foi possível graças aos esforços do Mestre Serpio Silva, discípulo do Grão-Mestre Li Wing Kay, que promove este grandioso evento.
Seja a sugestão do meu Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父), em 2005, de estudar mais a genealogia, seja a decisão do Mestre Serpio de promover este evento, isso mostra como não temos noção do quanto nossas ações podem mudar a vida de alguém. Por mais singelas e cirugicas que sejam, como uma sugestão de um Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父), ou que demandem uma série de esforços, como a realização de um evento deste tamanho.
Foram apenas alguns segundos. Mas talvez seja esse o engano de quem observa apenas a demonstração. Aqueles segundos não começaram quando subi naquele tablado. Eles começaram em 2005, quando um rapaz de 21 anos soube de uma história, ficou maravilhado e decidiu que um dia praticaria com aquele bastão.
O palco mostrou alguns segundos. A prática havia construído os outros vinte e um anos.
“Um dia, uma vida”
It was only a matter of seconds of demonstration, but, to live those seconds, I needed 21 years. I felt grateful for that opportunity. This opportunity was also made possible through the efforts of Master Serpio Silva, a disciple of Grandmaster Li Wing Kay, who organises this grand event.
Whether it was my Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父)'s suggestion in 2005 that I study genealogy more deeply, or Master Serpio's decision to organise this event, it shows how little we realise the extent to which our actions can change someone's life. No matter how small and precise they may be, such as a suggestion from a Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父), or how much effort they may require, such as organising an event of this size.
It was only a few seconds. But perhaps that is the mistake made by those who observe only the demonstration. Those seconds did not begin when I stepped onto that platform. They began in 2005, when a 21-year-old young man heard a story, was fascinated by it, and decided that one day he would practise with that staff.
The stage showed a few seconds. Practice had built the other twenty-one years.
“One Day, One Life”
If there is one thing this article is about, it is what exists before the result.
In August, I published The One Inch Punch, my first book as an author. Starting from one of the most recognisable gestures in martial arts, the book explores what is rarely visible in the final image: what must be built before an action can truly take place.
Behind a punch there is a structure. Behind that structure, a method. And before any force can reach its destination, there is a process that no one else can undertake for us.
In The One Inch Punch, I explore this process through the three layers of Ying 形 (Xíng 形), Faat 發 (Fā 发) and Ging 勁 (Jìn 劲), examining how form, method and force relate not merely to a technique, but to the process of developing genuine capability.
If you would like to begin looking beyond what the world simply sees, The One Inch Punch is available now.
Download it : CLICK HERE, or reach me on Instagram @thiago_moy.

.jpeg)


