[With my Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng 师公), Grandmaster Leo, during the ceremony of Senior Master title]
Ao longo das décadas, tudo aquilo que meu Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù 师父) Julio Camacho compartilhava comigo, eu levava muito a sério. Algumas ideias eu simplesmente não concordava, outras sigo não concordando, mas sempre procurei, no momento certo, ir atrás de mais informações.
Uma delas era uma trivia que ele costumava apresentar, algo como a ideia de que, quando você quer dizer que ama alguém, é necessário dizer “Eu” (Como "Eu te amo"). Durante muito tempo, guardei essa afirmação como uma daquelas provocações que permanecem na memória. Porém, como estudante da língua japonesa desde 2004, descobri algo que me fez olhar para essa questão de outra maneira.
A frase “Eu amo você” revela, em cada idioma, uma maneira particular de organizar a relação entre quem sente e quem recebe o sentimento. Em português, temos explicitamente “Eu” como sujeito: “Eu amo você”. O foco gramatical começa naquele que sente, no “eu”, que declara sua ação e direciona o amor ao outro. Em tailandês, uma forma possível é ฉันรักคุณ (chǎn rák khun), na qual ฉัน (chǎn) significa “eu” e คุณ (khun), “você”: novamente, os dois polos da relação aparecem claramente na frase. Em chinês, 我爱你 (Wǒ ài nǐ) segue uma estrutura semelhante: 我 (wǒ) é “eu”, 爱 (ài) é “amar” e 你 (nǐ) é “você”; o sentimento é verbalizado como uma ação que parte explicitamente do “eu” em direção ao outro.
Já no japonês encontramos uma construção particularmente interessante: 君を愛してる (Kimi o aishiteru). 君 (kimi) é “você”, を (o) marca o objeto da ação e 愛してる (aishiteru) significa “amar”; entretanto, não existe na frase nenhuma palavra correspondente a “eu”. O sujeito está simplesmente omitido, algo perfeitamente possível e natural na estrutura da língua japonesa quando ele pode ser compreendido pelo contexto. Assim, embora possamos traduzir 君を愛してる como “Eu amo você”, a própria construção japonesa não precisa pronunciar o “eu”. O que aparece explicitamente na frase é a pessoa amada.
Over the decades, everything my Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父), Julio Camacho, shared with me, I took very seriously. There were some ideas I simply did not agree with, and others I still do not agree with, but I always tried, at the right moment, to seek out more information.
One of them was a piece of trivia he used to present, something along the lines of the idea that, when you want to say that you love someone, you need to say “I” (as in “I love you”). For a long time, I kept this statement as one of those provocations that remain in your memory. However, as a student of the Japanese language since 2004, I discovered something that made me look at this question differently.
The phrase “I love you” reveals, in each language, a particular way of organising the relationship between the one who feels and the one who receives the feeling. In Portuguese, we have “Eu” explicitly as the subject: “Eu amo você”. The grammatical focus begins with the one who feels, the “I”, who declares their action and directs their love towards the other. In Thai, one possible form is ฉันรักคุณ (chǎn rák khun), in which ฉัน (chǎn) means “I” and คุณ (khun), “you”: once again, the two poles of the relationship appear clearly in the sentence. In Chinese, 我爱你 (Wǒ ài nǐ) follows a similar structure: 我 (wǒ) is “I”, 爱 (ài) is “to love”, and 你 (nǐ) is “you”; the feeling is expressed as an action that explicitly proceeds from the “I” towards the other.
In Japanese, however, we find a particularly interesting construction: 君を愛してる (Kimi o aishiteru). 君 (kimi) is “you”, を (o) marks the object of the action, and 愛してる (aishiteru) means “to love”; however, there is no word in the sentence corresponding to “I”. The subject is simply omitted, something that is perfectly possible and natural in the structure of the Japanese language when it can be understood from the context. Thus, although we can translate 君を愛してる as “I love you”, the Japanese construction itself does not need to pronounce the “I”. What appears explicitly in the sentence is the person who is loved.
Estive no CIOpEsp com o Mestre Senior Fabio Gomes, em mais de uma ocasião. O Centro de Instrução de Operações Especiais é voltado à formação e ao aperfeiçoamento de militares para operações especiais. Forças Especiais e Comandos são qualificações distintas dentro das Operações Especiais, com formações, missões e capacidades específicas.
Conforme meu contato com esse mundo de excelência foi se aprofundando, não apenas através do Mestre Senior Fabio, mas também do veterano do Exército Brasileiro e Comandos Marcelo Alves, tive contato com um lema atribuído às Forças Especiais que me tocou profundamente: “...O ideal por motivação, a abnegação como rotina, o perigo como irmão e a morte como companheira...” E havia ainda outra parte: “...Qualquer missão, em qualquer lugar, a qualquer hora, de qualquer maneira...”
Apesar de ter sido profundamente marcado por essas palavras, mantê-las em prática nem sempre é possível.
E foi justamente por isso que, no dia 6 de fevereiro, eu fazia uma das piores viagens de metrô da minha vida. Sentado, vendo cada estação passar, o sentimento de derrota era enorme. Eu sentia que havia chegado ao meu limite. Entendia que, por mais que me esforçasse, as coisas simplesmente não mudavam. Havia passado por uma perda poucas semanas antes, e aquele sentimento de derrota estava muito presente.
Naquele período, eu havia sido convidado pelo GM Leo Imamura, meu Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng 师公), para realizar a cerimônia de titulação de Mestre Senior, mas eu sinceramente não conseguia entender como aquilo poderia ser possível. "Como alguém que se sentia daquela maneira poderia estar prestes a receber uma titulação como aquela?"
E eu me lembro muito bem daquele momento. Eu estava subindo as escadas de uma das saídas da última estação, na Tijuca, quando chegou uma mensagem do meu Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng 师公). Se fosse um filme, provavelmente você acharia que o roteirista estava apelando demais para a coincidência, forçando a narrativa para criar um momento de virada. Mas foi exatamente assim que aconteceu.
I have been(photo above in the left) to CIOpEsp with Senior Master Fabio Gomes(photo above in the middle) on more than one occasion. The Centre for Special Operations Instruction is dedicated to the training and development of military personnel for special operations. Special Forces and Commando are distinct qualifications within Special Operations, with specific training, missions and capabilities.
As my contact with this world of excellence deepened, not only through Senior Master Fabio, but also through Marcelo Alves(foto above on the right), a veteran of the Brazilian Army and a Commando, I came into contact with a motto attributed to the Special Forces that deeply moved me: “...The ideal as motivation, selflessness as a routine, danger as a brother and death as a companion.” And there was another part as well: “...Any mission, anywhere, at any time, by any means.”
Despite having been deeply marked by these words, putting them into practice is not always possible.
And it was precisely because of this that, on 6 February, I was having one of the worst subway journeys of my life. Sitting there, watching each station go by, the feeling of defeat was overwhelming. I felt that I had reached my limit. I understood that, no matter how hard I tried, things simply were not changing. I had experienced a loss a few weeks earlier, and that feeling of defeat was very much present.
At that time, I had been invited by GM Leo Imamura, my Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公), to take part in the Master Senior titling ceremony, but I honestly could not understand how that could possibly happen. “How could someone who felt that way be about to receive a title like that?”
And I remember that moment very clearly. I was walking up the stairs at one of the exits of the final station, in Tijuca neighbourhood, when a message from my Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) arrived. If this were a film, you would probably think the screenwriter was pushing the coincidence too far, forcing the narrative to create a turning point. But that is exactly how it happened.
(The Moy Yat Institute in the end of the day when Im by myself)
"Pereira, você está confirmado para a titulação?"- Eu nunca deixo de atender o Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) ou responder prontamente, mas eu lembro de subir os últimos degraus olhando para a tela do celular. "O que eu respondo?"- Então eu comecei com toda aquela enrolação ali.
Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) apenas encerrou a conversa com "Vai dar tudo certo. Deixe as coisas acontecerem". Mas o que ele disse antes foi o que mudou minha perspectiva: enquanto mandava mensagens, ele respondeu: "Por isso, que vai ser ótimo". Parece uma frase solta, mas a energia com a qual ela chegou até mim foi de uma certeza tão grande que, entre a estação e o outro lado da rua, eu já havia encontrado uma solução.
Minha motivação voltou. E esse momento reforçou em mim que, por mais que eu fale "Eu nunca desisti", é impossível alguém nunca desistir sozinho. Você precisa de uma rede de apoio para falar algo assim. O triste é ter que colocar "Eu" no início da frase "Eu nunca desisti".
E foi na minha imersão de dois anos na cultura tailandesa que descobri uma alternativa para "Eu nunca desisti", sem focar no "Eu", assim como meu Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父) comentou sobre "Eu te amo".
O interessante é que, no tailandês (idioma geral), não existe um equivalente explícito de "eu". Não se diz "eu nunca desisti"; simplesmente se afirma a inexistência dessa experiência : "nunca aconteceu de haver rendição". Mas tem outra expressão dessa cultura que aprendi a admirar, que toca mais nessa experiência: ไม่เคยถอดใจ Mai khoei thot chai, que se aproxima mais de "nunca houve abandono interior".
“Pereira, are you confirmed for the titling ceremony?” I never fail to answer Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) or respond promptly, but I remember climbing the final steps while looking at the screen of my mobile phone. “What do I say?” And so I started with a whole excuse talk there.
Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) simply ended the conversation with, “Everything will work out. Let things happen.” But what he said before that was what changed my perspective: while sending messages, he replied, “That’s why it’s going to be great.” It sounds like a loose phrase, but the energy with which it reached me carried such a strong sense of certainty that, between the station and the other side of the road, I had already found a solution.
My motivation returned. And that moment reinforced in me that, no matter how much I say, “I never gave up”, it is impossible for someone never to give up on their own. You need a support network to be able to say something like that. The sad thing is having to put “I” at the beginning of the sentence “I never gave up”.
And it was during my two-year immersion in Thai culture that I discovered an alternative to “I never gave up”, without focusing on the “I”, just as my Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父) had commented about “I love you”.
What is interesting is that, in Thai (the language in general), there is no explicit equivalent of “I”. One does not say “I never gave up”; instead, one simply states the absence of that experience: “there was never an instance of surrender”. But there is another expression from this culture that I have learnt to admire, one that touches more directly on this experience: ไม่เคยถอดใจ Mai khoei thot chai, which comes closer to “there was never any inner abandonment”.
(With Grandmaster William Moy at the ceremony)
Quando eu vi o lema dos Forças Especiais do Exército Brasileiro: “...Qualquer missão, em qualquer lugar, a qualquer hora, de qualquer maneira.” Eu pensei no “Biu Ji 標指 (Biāo Zhǐ, 标指)”. Porque, à primeira vista, você se encanta com esse lema. Pode parecer que é algo feito na base do heroísmo. Mas essas pessoas são especialistas preparados para agir sempre na medida e com critério.
Então, como cumprir uma missão que parece sem solução, mesmo você sabendo que é sua responsabilidade?
Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) comenta que, quando performamos o Biu Ji 標指 (Biāo Zhǐ, 标指), a lista do terceiro domínio do Sistema Ving Tsun, existe uma palma [ Waan Jeung 彎掌 (Wān Zhǎng, 弯掌)] na primeira parte, em que sua trajetória deve ser contínua desde a origem até o ponto final, sem interrupções ou ajustes ao longo do caminho. Uma mudança abrupta pode mudar a integridade da linha. Essa mudança introduziria uma ação secundária que interromperia a continuidade da energia e revelaria uma falta de organização estrutural no retorno ao meio.
“O movimento está comprometido desde a partida”- Diz Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公)
When I saw the motto of the Brazilian Army’s Special Forces: “...Any mission, anywhere, at any time, by any means.” I thought of “Biu Ji 標指 (Biāo Zhǐ, 标指)”. Because, at first sight, you are captivated by this motto. It may seem like something done on the basis of heroism. But these people are specialists trained to always act with measure and criterion.
So, how do you fulfil a mission that seems to have no solution, even when you know that it is your responsibility?
Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) comments that, when we perform Biu Ji 標指 (Biāo Zhǐ, 标指), the third domain form of the Ving Tsun System, there is a palm movement, Waan Jeung 彎掌 (Wān Zhǎng, 弯掌), in the first part, whose trajectory must be continuous from its origin to its final point, without interruptions or adjustments along the way. An abrupt change can compromise the integrity of the line. This change would introduce a secondary action that would interrupt the continuity of the energy and reveal a lack of structural organisation in the return to the centre.
“The movement is compromised from the outset,” says Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公).
Ainda sobre esse movimento de palma, Waan Jeung 彎掌 (Wān Zhǎng, 弯掌), Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) comenta que a integridade desse movimento depende do compromisso com uma única e contínua trajetória.
Isso não lembra o lema das Forças Especiais? “...Qualquer missão, em qualquer lugar, a qualquer hora, de qualquer maneira.” Esses especialistas, em seus times, não duvidam de que a missão será cumprida. E ali, naquele momento, naquela viagem de metrô, eu estava quase perdendo as esperanças. Quando Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) enviou a mensagem, não foi uma mensagem motivacional. Foi uma mensagem que me fez entender que eu não estava sozinho, que a missão não precisava ser cumprida na base do heroísmo e que tínhamos condições de cumpri-la juntos.
Então você me viu ali na Cerimônia, você agora me vê usando o título, mas não existe “Eu” nessa jornada.
Meu Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父), minha Si Mo 師母 (Shīmǔ, 师母), meu Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公), minha Si Taai 師太 (Shītài, 师太) e uma série de outros exemplos foram fundamentais para que essa missão pudesse ser cumprida em tão pouco tempo. E foi a mensagem do Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) que me lembrou que nossas ações devem sempre ser decisivas, assim como no Biu Ji 標指 (Biāo Zhǐ, 标指).
Eu vou falar que eu nunca desisti, mas agora você sabe que eu não faço isso sozinho...
FORÇA!
Still regarding this palm movement, Waan Jeung 彎掌 (Wān Zhǎng, 弯掌), Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) comments that the integrity of this movement depends on the commitment to a single, continuous trajectory.
Doesn’t this remind you of the Special Forces motto? “...Any mission, anywhere, at any time, by any means.” These specialists, as part of their teams, do not doubt that the mission will be accomplished. And there I was, at that moment, on that subway journey, almost losing hope. When Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公) sent the message, it was not a motivational message. It was a message that made me understand that I was not alone, that the mission did not need to be accomplished through heroism, and that we were capable of accomplishing it together.
So you saw me there at the Ceremony, and now you see me using the title, but there is no “I” in this journey.
My Si Fu 師父 (Shīfù, 师父), my Si Mo 師母 (Shīmǔ, 师母), my Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公), my Si Taai 師太 (Shītài, 师太), and a whole series of other examples were fundamental to enabling this mission to be accomplished in such a short time. And it was Si Gung 師公 (Shīgōng, 师公)’s message that reminded me that our actions must always be decisive, just as they are in Biu Ji 標指 (Biāo Zhǐ, 标指).
I am going to say that I never gave up, but now you know that I do not do this alone...
What if the journey was never meant to be walked alone?
The One Inch Punch is more than a book about martial arts. It is a reflection on practice, discipline, transmission, failure, perseverance and the people who shape us along the way.
From Ving Tsun to encounters with different cultures, this is a journey about what happens when we stop looking only at the distance we still have to cover and begin to understand the meaning of every step.
You may think you know what it means to never give up.
But what if the real lesson is learning that you were never meant to do it alone?
The One Inch Punch is now available as an e-book.
Begin the journey. Read the book. Discover what lies behind the punch.
The One Inch Punch is available now. Download it : CLICK HERE, or reach me on Instagram @thiago_moy.
.jpeg)




