quinta-feira, 17 de setembro de 2026

Lap Sau 拿手 (Lap shǒu 拿手): Seventeen Years to Understand What Was Missing [ 拿手:用了十七年才明白缺少的是什么]


 A foto acima é de 2009. Tratava-se de uma prática coletiva oferecida nas noites de quarta-feira, assim como acontecia no antigo Núcleo de Jacarepaguá, com práticas similares conduzidas pelo querido Si Suk 師叔 (shī shū 师叔) André Cardoso. Entre 2008 e 2010, eu era quem coordenava esses encontros. Não me sentia preparado para fazê-lo e, hoje, tenho certeza de que realmente não estava.

Naquela época, entendia que o fato de essa prática ter perdurado por dois anos era a prova de que havia dado certo. Hoje penso de maneira diferente. Entendo que, se outra pessoa estivesse no meu lugar, ela poderia ter durado mais três anos. Se fosse ainda outra pessoa, talvez tivesse durado apenas um mês.

Esse fenômeno é explicado pelo Si Gung 師公 (shī gōng 师公) em seu livro:  “...Jing Tung 正統 (zhèngtǒng 正统) não é um ‘método correto de ensino’, mas a permanência do critério que mantém o sistema coerente quando o portador muda e o contexto muda. Se o eixo está vivo, ele atravessa. Se o eixo morreu, a estrutura pode permanecer, mas a via padece...”

Basicamente, aquela prática carecia de critério. Dependia tão somente de quem a estivesse conduzindo e de sua capacidade de reunir pessoas e mantê-las juntas. Mas levei muitos anos, eu diria décadas, para compreender isso. “...Por outro lado, quando não há norma alguma, cai-se no extremo oposto: tudo vira arbitrariedade. Cada um faz o que quer, sem critério, sem medida, confundindo adaptação com improviso, até que a prática se dissolve em puro acaso, sem qualidade...”Grão-Mestre Leo Imamura

The photograph above was taken in 2009. It shows a collective practice session that was offered on Wednesday evenings, much like the similar sessions held at the former MYVT Jacarepaguá School and conducted by my dear Si Suk 師叔 (shī shū 师叔) André Cardoso. Between 2008 and 2010, I was the one coordinating those sessions. I did not feel prepared to do so and, today, I am certain that I truly was not.

At the time, I saw the fact that the practice had continued for two years as proof that it had worked. Today, I see it differently. I understand that, had someone else been in my place, it might have lasted another three years. Had it been yet another person, perhaps it would have lasted only a month. This phenomenon is explained by my Si Gung 師公 (shī gōng 师公) in his book: “...Jing Tung 正統 (zhèngtǒng 正统) is not a ‘correct method of teaching’, but the continuity of the criterion that keeps the system coherent when the bearer changes and the context changes. If the axis is alive, it carries through. If the axis has died, the structure may remain, but the way suffers...”

Basically, that practice lacked a criterion. It depended entirely on whoever happened to be leading it and on that person’s ability to bring people together and keep them together. But it took me many years, I would say decades, to understand this. “...On the other hand, when there is no standard at all, one falls into the opposite extreme: everything becomes arbitrary. Everyone does whatever they want, without criterion, without measure, confusing adaptation with improvisation, until the practice dissolves into sheer chance, without quality...” — Grandmaster Leo Imamura

No último fim de semana, ocorreu a Visita Oficial do Grão-Mestre Leo Imamura aos Polos de Acesso Moy Mei Si e Morumbi, respectivamente liderados pelos Mestres Seniores Paulo Camiz e Herbert Morais. Eu diria que a tarde de sábado, em particular, foi um dos momentos mais marcantes da minha jornada até hoje. O Grão-Mestre Leo Imamura, na foto acima, aproveitou o fato de a praticante Bianca precisar ir embora para adaptar o estudo ao Sistema Tradicional, em vez de seguir o Programa Ving Tsun Experience. Foram mais de três horas com o Grão-Mestre Leo realizando o Paak Sau 拍手 (pāi shǒu 拍手) e o Lap Sau 拿手 (Lap shǒu 拿手), pertencentes ao Domínio Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (xiǎo niàn tóu 小念头), com cada aluno de cada um dos Mestres, até que a prática alcançasse a qualidade que ele buscava.

Por vezes, ele parava para beber um chá e se recompor, mas em nenhum momento pediu que eu ou qualquer outra pessoa o ajudasse. Em alguns momentos, parecia quase possuído por aquela tarefa. Entendi que ele queria contribuir diretamente com as duas Famílias, ajudando seus membros ali presentes a adentrar a dimensão Kung Fu 功夫 (gōngfu 功夫) e permitindo que, através do próprio corpo, pudessem vivenciar o critério. Observar a evolução de cada um e perceber como o praticante que vinha a seguir já se beneficiava daquilo que havia observado no anterior chegou a ser emocionante.

Também pude perceber, em diversos momentos, os praticantes realizando gestos afoitos ou precipitados. Nessas ocasiões, me lembrei do livro do Grão-Mestre Leo, no qual ele comenta que, no Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (xiǎo niàn tóu 小念头), é preciso “permanecer antes de agir”. A frase ganhou outra dimensão diante do que estava acontecendo ali. Não se tratava apenas de compreender intelectualmente um princípio, mas de perceber, no próprio corpo, o momento em que a ação surge antes que o critério esteja verdadeiramente presente.

Last weekend, Grandmaster Leo Imamura made an Official Visit to the Moy Mei Si and Morumbi Access Hubs, respectively led by Senior Masters Paulo Camiz and Herbert Morais. I would say that Saturday afternoon, in particular, was one of the most remarkable moments of my journey so far. Grandmaster Leo Imamura, pictured above, took advantage of the fact that practitioner Bianca had to leave to adapt the study to the Traditional System, rather than following the Ving Tsun Experience Programme. For more than three hours, Grandmaster Leo worked on Paak Sau 拍手 (pāi shǒu 拍手) and Lap Sau 拿手 (Lap shǒu 拿手), both belonging to the Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (xiǎo niàn tóu 小念头) Domain, with every student of each Master, until the practice reached the level of quality he was looking for.

From time to time, he would stop to have some tea and regain his strength, but at no point did he ask me, or anyone else, to assist him. At certain moments, he seemed almost possessed by the task. I understood that he wanted to contribute directly to both Families, helping the members who were present to enter the  Kung Fu 功夫 (gōngfu 功夫) Dimension and allowing them, through their own bodies, to experience the criterion. Watching each person evolve, and noticing how the next practitioner was already benefiting from what they had observed in the one before them, was genuinely moving.

I also noticed, on several occasions, practitioners making hurried or premature gestures. At those moments, I remembered Grandmaster Leo’s book, in which he comments that, in Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (xiǎo niàn tóu 小念头), one must “remain before acting”. The phrase took on another dimension in light of what was happening there. It was not merely a matter of understanding a principle intellectually, but of recognising, within one’s own body, the moment when action arises before the criterion is truly present.

Existe uma expressão em tailandês que aprendi durante minha imersão nessa cultura: hǔan khít-thʉ̌ng (หวนคิดถึง). Ela se refere  a “voltar nostalgicamente em pensamento”. Talvez seja uma das expressões que melhor transmita essa sensação de sentir falta de um lugar, de uma época ou de um momento que já passou. Durante minhas experiências na Tailândia, também ouvi uma reflexão interessante a respeito dos monges budistas tailandeses: raramente os vemos correndo. Me explicaram que, se um monge está correndo, provavelmente se atrasou ou está com pressa. E, se está atrasado ou apressado, então, de alguma forma, deixou de estar plenamente presente naquele momento.

There is an expression in Thai that I learnt during my immersion in the culture: hǔan khít-thʉ̌ng (หวนคิดถึง). It refers to “returning nostalgically in thought”. Perhaps it is one of the expressions that best conveys that feeling of missing a place, a period of time, or a moment that has already passed.

During my experiences in Thailand, I also heard an interesting reflection concerning Thai Buddhist monks: we rarely see them running. It was explained to me that, if a monk is running, he has probably been delayed or is in a hurry. And if he is late or rushing, then, in some way, he has ceased to be fully present in that moment.

Nós, que praticamos Ving Tsun 詠春 (Yǒng Chūn 咏春), também buscamos lidar com essa tendência de permanecer apegados ao que já passou. Não se trata de negar as lembranças ou a saudade, mas de não permitir que a nostalgia nos afaste do presente. Para isso, temos o Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (Xiǎo Niàn Tóu 小念头), que apareço praticando em uma das fotografias. Como explica o Grão-Mestre Leo Imamura, meu mentor, o Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (Xiǎo Niàn Tóu 小念头) nos ajuda a aprender a “permanecer antes de agir”.

Porém, ao assistir ao Grão-Mestre trabalhando com os rapazes e promovendo ali um estudo tão profundo, garantindo que fossem devidamente apresentados àqueles componentes, lembrei-me de 2009. Naquele ano, além da prática coletiva que eu coordenava, também tive uma oportunidade semelhante com o Grão-Mestre Leo. Na época, usávamos uma camisa verde comemorativa dos 20 anos da Família Moy Yat Sang 梅一生 (Méi Yīshēng 梅一生). O modelo vermelho ainda não havia sido lançado.

Me lembrei daquela ocasião como se tivesse acontecido há poucos minutos. Diferentemente dos alunos que estavam ali de pé agora, acompanhando o estudo e gradualmente encontrando sentido naquilo que vivenciavam, eu não entendia absolutamente nada do que o Grão-Mestre Leo dizia naquele momento tão parecido em 2009. E, naquele mesmo ano, eu já completava dez anos de jornada.

Those of us who practise Ving Tsun 詠春 (Yǒng Chūn 咏春) also seek to deal with this tendency to remain attached to what has already passed. It is not about denying memories or longing, but about not allowing nostalgia to draw us away from the present. For this, we have Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (Xiǎo Niàn Tóu 小念头), which I am practising in one of the photographs. As Grandmaster Leo Imamura, my mentor, explains, Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (Xiǎo Niàn Tóu 小念头) helps us learn to “remain before acting”.

However, as I watched Grandmaster Leo working with the young men and conducting such a profound study, ensuring that they were properly introduced to those components, I found myself thinking back to 2009. That year, in addition to the collective practice sessions I was coordinating, I also had a similar opportunity with Grandmaster Leo. At the time, we wore a green shirt commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Moy Yat Sang 梅一生 (Méi Yīshēng 梅一生) Family. The red version had not yet been introduced.

I remembered that occasion as though it had happened only a few minutes earlier. Unlike the students who were now standing there, following the study and gradually finding meaning in what they were experiencing, I understood absolutely nothing of what Grandmaster Leo was saying during that remarkably similar moment in 2009. And, by that same year, I had already completed ten years of my journey.

Nas pausas, minha mente ia para vários lugares da minha jornada, e um sentimento de tempo perdido começou a me tomar pela primeira vez. Sabe, geralmente, quando encontro alguma dificuldade em um estudo por algo para o qual poderia ter tido uma oportunidade melhor no passado, isso nunca me chateou. É como uma chave de força que desarma quando o chuveiro aquece demais. Mas, naquele sábado, isso não estava acontecendo. Lembrei que só fui compreender verdadeiramente o Lap Sau 拿手 (Lap shǒu 拿手) quinze anos depois, em Brasília, na ocasião da foto acima, sob a orientação do Grão-Mestre Leo Imamura.

Pode parecer estranho ler isso, mas não é que me faltasse capacidade psicomotora. O que faltava era Faat Do 法度 (fǎ dù 法度) no Lap Sau 拿手 (Lap shǒu 拿手) que pratiquei durante toda a minha vida até aquele momento. Eu era capaz de reproduzir a ação, mas isso não significava que compreendesse aquilo que deveria regulá-la.

No livro, Faat Do 法度 (fǎ dù 法度) é apresentado como o critério interno de adequação, uma medida viva que regula o Sistema Ving Tsun 詠春 (Yǒng Chūn 咏春) enquanto a ação acontece. Não se trata simplesmente de uma regra, de uma técnica ou de um método externo. Por isso, duas pessoas podem realizar, aparentemente, o mesmo movimento e, ainda assim, uma delas pode não estar operando com Faat Do 法度 (fǎ dù 法度).

During the pauses, my mind wandered through different moments of my journey, and for the first time I began to feel a sense of lost time. Usually, when I encounter some difficulty in a study because I could have had a better opportunity to understand it in the past, it has never really upset me. It is like a circuit breaker that trips when the shower gets too hot. But that Saturday, it was not happening. I remembered that I only truly came to understand Lap Sau 拿手 (ná shǒu 拿手) fifteen years later, in Brasília, on the occasion shown in the photograph above, under the guidance of Grandmaster Leo Imamura.

It may sound strange to read this, but it was not that I lacked psychomotor ability. What was missing was Faat Do 法度 (fǎ dù 法度) in the Lap Sau 拿手 (Lap shǒu 拿手) that I had practised throughout my life up to that point. I was capable of reproducing the action, but that did not mean that I understood what should regulate it.

In the book, Faat Do 法度 (fǎ dù 法度) is presented as the internal criterion of appropriateness, a living measure that regulates the Ving Tsun 詠春 (Yǒng Chūn 咏春) System while the action is taking place. It is not simply a rule, a technique, or an external method. For this reason, two people may apparently perform the same movement and, even so, one of them may still not be operating with Faat Do 法度 (fǎ dù 法度).

Se eu ainda não possuía determinado critério, o que exatamente eu estava transmitindo quando coordenava aquelas práticas em 2009? Sentado ali, percebi a oportunidade que aqueles alunos estavam tendo ao entrar em contato, tão cedo, com um nível de profundidade tão grande em algo que eu havia passado 24 anos fazendo de maneira muito mais superficial. Afinal, tive meu primeiro acesso ao Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (Xiǎo Niàn Tóu 小念头) em novembro de 1999.

O interesse da pergunta acima não está em condenar o processo do Thiago de 2009. Está em perceber que boa intenção não substitui critério. E isso nos leva a uma discussão muito maior sobre responsabilidade na transmissão. Quem transmite não preserva algo simplesmente porque continua ensinando.

Às vezes, justamente por continuar transmitindo sem critério, alguém pode, ainda que involuntariamente, contribuir para transformar aquilo que pretendia preservar.

If I still did not possess a particular criterion, what exactly was I transmitting when I coordinated those practice sessions in 2009? Sitting there, I realised the opportunity those students were having by coming into contact, so early on, with such a profound level of study in something that I had spent 24 years practising in a much more superficial way. After all, I first gained access to Siu Nim Tau 小念頭 (Xiǎo Niàn Tóu 小念头) in November 1999.

The point of the question above is not to condemn the process of the Thiago of 2009. It is to recognise that good intentions are no substitute for criterion. And this leads us into a much broader discussion about responsibility in transmission. Someone does not preserve something simply because they continue teaching it.

Sometimes, precisely by continuing to transmit without criterion, a person may, even unintentionally, contribute to transforming the very thing they intended to preserve.

[In the photograph above, I am alongside Grandmaster Leo Imamura, struggling to understand Lap Sau 拿手 (Lap shǒu 拿手). There is a level of approach to Lap Sau 拿手 (Lap shǒu 拿手) for which I was not yet qualified until that moment, in January 2024.]

Naquela noite, foi difícil dormir. No dia seguinte, eu ainda pensava no quão bonito havia sido o que presenciei com os alunos dos Mestres Paulo e Herbert, mas um sentimento ruim permanecia. Foi apenas quando me lembrei da Tailândia e daquela expressão chamada "hǔan khít-thʉ̌ng (หวนคิดถึง)" que comecei a reconsiderar o que estava sentindo.

Porque o sentimento de “tempo perdido” talvez fosse justamente a prova de que, agora, eu conseguia enxergar aquilo que antes não conseguia. O mesmo critério cuja ausência eu lamentava naquela tarde de sábado era justamente o que, graças ao que vivi em janeiro de 2024, em Brasília, me permitia reconhecer a sua ausência naquele fatídico ano de 2009.

O Thiago de 2009 não sabia que não sabia. O de 2026 consegue olhar para aquele estudo da tarde de sábado e identificar com precisão o que havia faltado em outros momentos da sua jornada. Aquela tarde de sábado me acompanhou até a noite de domingo, enquanto eu voltava para o Rio. Mas o sentimento de gratidão pela sorte que tenho, somado à felicidade de nunca ter desistido, acabou sendo maior do que qualquer sentimento ruim: só é possível lamentar conscientemente a ausência daquele critério porque agora existe critério suficiente para reconhecer sua ausência.

Talvez seja por isso que Jing Tung 正統 (zhèngtǒng 正统) tenha adquirido para mim outra dimensão naquele fim de semana. Transmitir não é simplesmente fazer com que alguma coisa continue existindo. É cuidar para que aquilo que lhe dá sentido consiga atravessar quando as pessoas mudam, quando o contexto muda e, sobretudo, quando nós mesmos mudamos.

That night, I found it difficult to sleep. The following day, I was still thinking about how beautiful it had been to witness what happened with the students of Masters Paulo and Herbert, yet an unpleasant feeling remained. It was only when I remembered Thailand and that expression called hǔan khít-thʉ̌ng (หวนคิดถึง) that I began to reconsider what I was feeling.

Perhaps that sense of “lost time” was precisely the proof that I could now see what I had once been unable to see. The very criterion whose absence I regretted that Saturday afternoon was precisely what, thanks to what I experienced in Brasília in January 2024, now allowed me to recognise its absence in that fateful year of 2009.

The Thiago of 2009 did not know that he did not know. The Thiago of 2026 can look back at that study on Saturday afternoon and identify precisely what had been missing at other moments in his journey. That Saturday afternoon stayed with me until Sunday night as I travelled back to Rio. But the sense of gratitude for how fortunate I have been, together with the happiness of never having given up, ultimately became greater than any negative feeling: it is only possible to consciously regret the absence of that criterion because there is now enough criterion to recognise that absence. Perhaps that is why Jing Tung 正統 (zhèngtǒng 正统) took on another dimension for me that weekend. To transmit is not simply to ensure that something continues to exist. It is to care for what gives it meaning, so that it can endure when people change, when the context changes and, above all, when we ourselves change.