[With my friend Rafael . Tae Kwon Do 1998]
O "N." levou poucos segundos para entender a situação e deu um grito, ameaçando partir para cima deles. Alguns daqueles rapazes provavelmente eram mais velhos do que ele, mas lembro-me claramente de que sua característica camisa florida aberta e um cordão de prata foram suficientes para fazer todos correrem. A cena foi muito impressionante. "Dá mole não, gordinho! Levaram seu boné?". Quando fiz que não com a cabeça, ele respondeu: "Muito bom. Não pode deixar levar, não!". Quando cheguei em frente à minha casa uns 100 m à frente, meu pai estava saindo para me socorrer. "Te bateram, moleque?".
Anos depois, eu já havia começado a praticar Tae Kwon Do (foto acima). Lembro-me de um dia em que meu pai apareceu de surpresa, acompanhado de um amigo do trabalho. Quando a prática terminou e estávamos indo embora, ele comentou com o amigo, enquanto me observava caminhar até o carro: "O Thiago não está mais andando encurvado desde que entrou na luta". Para mim, aquilo foi um enorme elogio. Mas a verdade é que, para evitar situações em que nos tornemos o centro das atenções, muitas vezes passamos a andar encurvados, olhando para baixo.
Lembro que a cena do "N." havia me marcado tanto que também passei a acreditar que andar "gingando", quase como se estivesse procurando briga, do jeito que ele andava pela rua, talvez fosse o correto. Minha mãe, porém, não gostou muito quando tentei andar daquele jeito.
"N." took only a few seconds to understand what was happening before shouting and threatening to charge at them. Some of those boys were probably older than he was, yet I remember clearly that his trademark open floral shirt and a silver chain around his neck were enough to send every one of them running. It was a remarkable scene. "Don't be soft, fatty! Did they take your cap?" When I shook my head, he replied, "Good. You must never let them take it." By the time I reached my house, about 100 metres further up the street, my father was already coming out to help me. "Did they beat you up, son?"
Years later, I had already started practising Tae Kwon Do (photo above). I remember one day when my father unexpectedly arrived with a colleague from work. When training had finished and we were walking back to the car, he remarked to his friend, while watching me walk: "Thiago doesn't walk hunched over anymore since he started martial arts." To me, that was a tremendous compliment. The truth, however, is that, in order to avoid becoming the centre of attention, we often end up walking with our shoulders hunched and our eyes fixed on the ground.
I remember that the scene involving "N." had left such a deep impression on me that I also came to believe that walking with a swagger ("ginga"), almost as though looking for a fight, the way he walked through the neighbourhood, might be the right way to carry myself. My mother, however, was not particularly pleased when I tried to walk like that.
32 anos depois : Moy Yat Institute
32 years later: The Moy Yat Institute
[With Si Gung (師公 / Shīgōng 师公) at the Moy Yat Institute]Estava sozinho praticando o Baat Jaam Do (八斬刀) já havia uma hora. Refletia que ainda estava me impondo sobre a natureza daquele Domínio. Lembrei que havia feito uma publicação no Instagram sobre ter tomado consciência disso no Cham Kiu (尋橋), mas ali estava eu novamente: forçando, querendo ser rápido, confundindo displicência com seriedade. Resolvi diminuir o timing da execução. Resolvi prestar atenção em cada etapa que entendia conseguir identificar. Por acaso, estava estudando a sexta parte quando me dei conta de algo: eu estava me encurvando. Era justamente em um movimento cuja compreensão ainda não estava clara que eu me encurvava.
Lembrei de duas semanas antes, quando o Si Gung (師公 / Shīgōng 师公) (foto acima) me pediu para fazer uma movimentação no Muk Yan Jong (木人樁) e chamou minha atenção por eu estar encurvado. Recebi aquela informação com espanto, mas só fui realmente compreendê-la ali, naquele estudo com as facas. "Então eu ainda sou um cara que se encurva quando encontra um desafio?"
Resolvi não fazer mais isso. A cada movimentação, tentava manter o Na Jong (拿樁), mas aquilo também era bastante inocente, porque, àquela altura, o Na Jong (拿樁) já deveria estar incorporado, e não ser executado deliberadamente. Ao tentar fazer isso, minha atenção ficava tão concentrada na postura que as facas perdiam a vida. Foi então que me lembrei de 1994, do meu boné do Yankees e do "N.".
"Não vai dar para ganhar essa partindo pra cima com o peito aberto igual ele daquela vez" - Pensei.
I had been practising the Baat Jaam Do (八斬刀) on my own for about an hour. I found myself reflecting that I was still imposing myself upon the nature of that Domain. I remembered having written an Instagram post about becoming aware of this during the Cham Kiu (尋橋), yet there I was again: forcing things, trying to be fast, confusing carelessness with seriousness. I decided to slow down the timing of my execution. I decided to pay attention to every stage that I believed I was capable of identifying. By chance, I was studying the sixth section when I suddenly realised something: I was hunching over. It was precisely whenever I reached a movement whose meaning was still unclear that I found myself hunching.
I remembered that, two weeks earlier, my Si Gung (師公 / Shīgōng 师公) (photo above) had asked me to perform a movement on the Muk Yan Jong (木人樁) and had pointed out that I was hunched over. At the time, I received that observation with surprise, but it was only there, during that study session with the knives, that I truly understood it. "So I am still someone who hunches over whenever I encounter a challenge?"
I decided not to do that anymore. With every movement, I tried to maintain the Na Jong (拿樁), but that too was rather naïve, because by then the Na Jong (拿樁) should already have been fully embodied, rather than something performed deliberately. The more consciously I tried to maintain it, the more my attention became absorbed by my posture, and the knives lost their life. That was when I remembered 1994, my Yankees cap, and "N.".
"I'm not going to overcome this by charging in with my chest wide open the way he did that day," I thought.
Then you could have seen me there, holding the Do (刀) in my hands, when a thought occurred to me: to feel more of the entire sole of both feet in contact with the ground throughout every movement. To do that, I had to become more rooted. And by rooting myself more deeply in order to remain stable throughout the movement, my posture finally fell into place.
I do not know whether you, reading this, fully understand what I mean, but that was a unique moment in my journey. I was deeply moved, although only inwardly. After that experience in 1994, I could never bring myself to wear that Yankees cap again. I did not want to risk someone trying to take it from me once more, nor being beaten again for refusing to hand it over. Perhaps "N." would not have appeared a second time. But there, at the Moy Yat Institute, I felt that, at last, thirty-two years later, my posture was no longer hunched.
I believe that, for many years, having the resilience to fight against it was important. But, in that moment, by allowing the nature of the Domain to take the lead, I felt that, for the first time, something had truly changed.
Now I can finally own another New York Yankees cap. Thirty-two years later, I have reclaimed my posture.

.jpeg)
.jpeg)
