terça-feira, 18 de agosto de 2026

Biu Gwan(biāo gùn 标棍): From the Shallow to the Deep (标棍:从浅水区走向深水区)

 

Sabe, muito próximo da data de entrega do Instituto Moy Yat para os eventos que ocorreriam lá em março, eu estava tentando pintar o chão com uma tinta cinza. Ao final da tarde, sempre chovia, e a chuva estava estragando mais uma vez a pintura que eu tentava fazer. Outras demandas também estavam aparecendo. Porém, alguns empreendimentos necessitam de uma certa dose de audácia.

 Naquele fim de tarde chuvoso, sentei em uma cadeira velha enquanto esperava a chuva passar naquele jardim. Eu estava meio chateado. Si Gung 師公 (shīgōng 师公)[FOTO ACIMA] parou o que estava fazendo para ficar comigo por longos trinta minutos ao telefone. Teria dito ele algo como: “...Tem pessoas que, quando veem um lago, não entram. Outras colocam um pé, depois vão lá e colocam o outro... Minha esposa, por exemplo, conhece a cachoeira, porque vai lá há muitos anos, então ela sabe exatamente como é... Eu não, eu preciso colocar o colete... Você me viu lá... Então também tem pessoas que saem pulando sem pensar, igual você...” Então eu acabei rindo. 

Recentemente, lendo o novo livro de David Goggins, essa ligação com o Si Gung 師公 (shīgōng 师公) voltou à minha memória quando passei pelo seguinte trecho: “...Quando estava aprendendo a nadar na adolescência, eu passava todo o meu tempo na parte rasa da piscina, porque ali não havia nada a temer. Mesmo depois que aprendi, eu nadava no raso, porque me tranquilizava saber que, a cada braçada, eu quase encostava no fundo. Se ficasse cansado demais ou quisesse desistir, eu poderia simplesmente ficar de pé, e isso me reconfortava e me dava confiança. Era algo que me ajudava a treinar minhas braçadas sem ser atrapalhado pelo medo. Não há nada particularmente errado nisso, contanto que deixemos claro que o trabalho que fazemos no raso é uma preparação para as águas profundas. Mas essa não era minha forma de ver as coisas na época...” 

Quando terminei de ler esse trecho, em um fim de noite, na Padaria Manhtattan, parei por alguns segundos para refletir.


You know, very close to the date when the Moy Yat Institute was due to be handed over for the events that were to take place there in March, I was trying to paint the floor with grey paint. Towards the end of each afternoon, it would always rain, and the rain was once again ruining the painting I was trying to do. Other demands were also beginning to arise. However, some undertakings require a certain degree of boldness.

On that rainy late afternoon, I sat on an old chair while waiting for the rain to pass in that garden. I was feeling somewhat down. Si Gung 師公 (shīgōng 师公)[PHOTO ABOVE] stopped what he was doing to stay on the phone with me for a good thirty minutes. He said something along the lines of: “...There are people who, when they see a lake, don't go in. Others put one foot in, and then go and put the other one in... My wife, for example, knows the waterfall because she has been going there for many years, so she knows exactly what it is like... I don't; I need to put on the life jacket... You saw me there... So there are also people who just jump in without thinking, like you...” So I ended up laughing.

Recently, while reading David Goggins' new book, that conversation with Si Gung 師公 (shīgōng 师公) came back to my mind when I came across the following passage: “...When I was learning to swim as a teenager, I spent all my time in the shallow end of the pool, because there was nothing to fear there. Even after I learned, I still swam in the shallow end, because it reassured me to know that, with every stroke, I could almost touch the bottom. If I became too tired or wanted to give up, I could simply stand up, and that comforted me and gave me confidence. It was something that helped me practise my strokes without being hindered by fear. There is nothing particularly wrong with that, provided we make it clear that the work we do in the shallow end is preparation for deep water. But that was not how I saw things at the time...

When I finished reading this passage, late one evening at Manhattan Café, I stopped for a few moments to reflect.

Parado ali na Padaria Manhattan, meses depois, percebi que não deveria ter perdido tempo me chateando com quem prefere ficar no raso, mas também não queria mais ser o cara que "salta no fundo sem pensar". Seja a pessoa que prefere ficar no raso ou eu, que salto direto no fundo, depois de um tempo esse tipo de atitude acaba virando uma poltrona reclinável. David Goggins comenta que “Nós deitamos nela, nos reclinamos e depois temos a audácia de nos perguntar por que a vida não está melhorando quando continuamos fazendo tudo como sempre fizemos...” 

Sabe, eu decidi voltar à prática do Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (liù diǎn bàn gùn 六点半棍) com o máximo de empenho que pudesse ter. Esse domínio vai muito além da “audácia”. Ele nos educa, ao reconhecermos cada etapa de uma ação contundente, a não hesitarmos. Não hesitar é diferente de ser “destemido”

Você pode ser “destemido” simplesmente porque é burro, mas ali eu queria que o manuseio incansável do bastão me permitisse ir além disso. Eu queria cultivar em mim um entendimento de como criar as condicionantes para não ter dúvidas de que era capaz.


Standing there at  Manhattan Cafe, months later, I realised that I should not have wasted time being upset with those who prefer to stay in the shallow end, but I also no longer wanted to be the person who “jumps into the deep end without thinking”. Whether it is the person who prefers to stay in the shallow end or me, who jumps straight into the deep end, after a while this kind of attitude ends up becoming a reclining armchair. David Goggins observes that “We lie down in it, recline, and then have the audacity to wonder why life isn't getting better when we keep doing everything the way we've always done it...

You know, I decided to return to practising Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (liù diǎn bàn gùn 六点半棍) with as much commitment as I could possibly give. This domain goes far beyond “boldness”. It teaches us, by recognising each stage of a decisive action, not to hesitate. Not hesitating is different from being “fearless”.

You can be “fearless” simply because you are dumb, but what I wanted there was for the tireless handling of the pole to allow me to go beyond that. I wanted to cultivate within myself an understanding of how to create the conditions necessary to have no doubt that I was capable.


Nos primeiros dias, minhas coxas pareciam que iam explodir no dia seguinte. Então forcei ainda mais e, depois, já não conseguia mais fazer Jin Choei 戰拳 (Zhàn Quán 战拳). Então, bem, não era esse o caminho. De repente, alguns dias depois, meu corpo parecia ter recuperado a memória, e eu já conseguia praticar novamente por muito tempo. E então algo em mim começou a mudar. Sabe, havia uma nova possibilidade, uma nova oportunidade e, pela primeira vez em muitos anos, comecei a postergar a decisão. Isso começou a me fazer mal, porque comecei a cogitar que essa prática com o bastão estava me deixando cauteloso demais. Então resolvi eliminar aquele sentimento de dentro de mim. 

Resolvi me desafiar a fazer um furo em uma cadeira de plástico usando apenas o Biu Gwan 標棍 (biāo gùn 标棍), como havia visto o Grão-Mestre Leo Imamura fazer em um VHS quando eu tinha 15 anos. Fiz essa prática por sugestão do Grão-Mestre William Moy e, naquela noite, parecia uma boa ideia. De repente: “BANG!” A cadeira furou. Bati uma palma involuntária no ar! Era uma pequena conquista de alguém que havia visto aquilo quando tinha apenas 15 anos de idade. Naquele momento, senti que tudo era possível.

In the first few days, my thighs felt as though they were going to explode the following day. So I pushed even harder and, afterwards, I could no longer do Jin Choei 戰拳 (Zhàn Quán 战拳). So, well, that was not the way. Suddenly, a few days later, my body seemed to have recovered its memory, and I was able to practise again for long periods. And then something in me began to change. You know, there was a new possibility, a new opportunity and, for the first time in many years, I began to postpone the decision. This started to trouble me, because I began to wonder whether this practice with the pole was making me too cautious. So I decided to eliminate that feeling from within me.

I decided to challenge myself to make a hole in a plastic chair using only the Biu Gwan 標棍 (biāo gùn 标棍), just as I had seen Grandmaster Leo Imamura do on a VHS when I was 15 years old. I undertook this practice at the suggestion of Grandmaster William Moy and, that evening, it seemed like a good idea. Suddenly: “BANG!” The chair was pierced. I involuntarily clapped my hands in the air! It was a small achievement for someone who had first seen that at just 15 years of age. In that moment, I felt that anything was possible.


Eu havia perfurado uma cadeira usando o Biu Gwan 標棍 (biāo gùn 标棍). Eu havia visto aquilo quando era adolescente e, ali estava eu, sentado, olhando para a cadeira perfurada. No dia seguinte, porém, enquanto sorria e caminhava em direcção à Padaria Manhattan, lembrei que a decisão ainda precisava ser tomada. Meu sentimento continuava o mesmo. Me lembrei de outro trecho do livro de Goggins, dentro do mesmo assunto sobre pessoas que gostam de ficar no raso: “...A maioria se sente intimidada por um futuro desconhecido, cheio de variáveis e consequências que não podem ser controladas nem previstas...” Meu semblante mudou. Comecei a ficar pensativo e introspectivo. “Eu sou um cara que nada no raso?”

Não importava o quanto eu pensasse sobre isso, a experiência marcial dos dias anteriores, que culminara em perfurar a cadeira, ainda não havia mudado o sentimento. Foi então que, finalmente, na primeira oportunidade, em silêncio, enquanto Si Gung 師公 (Shī Gōng 师公) e seu pai tomavam um café, comentei: “Si Gung 師公 (Shī Gōng 师公), falando francamente...” Ele me interrompeu, olhando para a comida em suas mãos, e comentou sorrindo: “Ainda bem que você vai falar francamente.” Então ele me olhou como quem diz: “Te peguei.” 

Há anos, ele vem me chamando a atenção para o fato de que, quando não estamos alinhados ou equilibrados, tendemos a nos tornar um cliché ambulante. Gírias, frases de efeito, preâmbulos desnecessários, tudo isso, um grande cliché. “Eu acho que a verdade é que eu estou com medo.” 

Si Gung 師公 (Shī Gōng 师公) ficou com um sorriso aberto, olhando para o fundo do salão, enquanto se preparava para dar uma nova mordida em seu lanche, e disse, ainda sorrindo: “É... Tem que ver se é ‘cagaço’ ou se realmente você está identificando que não tem condições...”

I had pierced a chair using the Biu Gwan 標棍 (biāo gùn 标棍). I had seen that when I was a teenager and, there I was, sitting and looking at the pierced chair. The following day, however, as I smiled and walked towards  Manhattan Café, I remembered that the decision still had to be made. My feeling remained the same. I remembered another passage from Goggins' book, on the same subject of people who like to stay in the shallow end: “...Most people feel intimidated by an unknown future, full of variables and consequences that cannot be controlled or predicted...” My expression changed. I became thoughtful and introspective. “Am I a guy who swims in the shallow end?”

No matter how much I thought about it, the martial experience of the preceding days, which had culminated in piercing the chair, had still not changed the feeling. It was then that, finally, at the first opportunity, in silence, while Si Gung 師公 (Shī Gōng 师公) and his father were having coffee, I remarked: “Si Gung 師公 (Shī Gōng 师公), speaking frankly...” He interrupted me, looking at the food in his hands, and said with a smile: “Good thing you're going to speak frankly.” Then he looked at me as if to say: “Got you.

For years, he has been pointing out to me that, when we are not aligned or balanced, we tend to become a walking cliché. Slang, catchphrases, unnecessary preambles, all of it, one great cliché. “I think the truth is that I'm afraid.

Si Gung 師公 (Shī Gōng 师公) had a broad smile on his face, looking towards the back of the room as he prepared to take another bite of his snack, and said, still smiling: “Well... You have to work out whether it's just ‘being shit-scared’ or whether you are genuinely recognising that you're not capable of it...

Si Gung 師公 (Shī Gōng 师公) and I , 8 years ago.

Essa história não tem um final edificante. Ainda está em andamento. Uma reflexão que sigo fazendo é o quanto essa dedicação ao Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn 六点半棍) me levou a ponderar sobre onde eu simplesmente seria audacioso. Eu buscava não hesitar e, hoje, nunca me vi tão hesitante. Acho que, em algum nível, quando você entende que é hora de fazer um “Biu Gwan標棍 (biāo gùn 标棍)” e, por um erro de cálculo, o adversário te acerta com outro Biu Gwan 標棍 (biāo gùn 标棍), é uma dor seca. Dói. Então você pensa: ficar no raso é confortável, saltar no fundo também. Porém, entrar no raso e ir progredindo até o fundo, isso talvez não seja tão simples.

Para quem gosta de ficar só no raso, caso uma adversidade muito grande venha disso, vai poder dizer: “Era melhor não ter me metido nisso.”

Se você é o cara que se joga no fundo, talvez diga: “É, deveria ter me jogado logo de cabeça.”

Agora, acompanhar conscientemente a progressão da crise, mitigando diferentes situações e fazendo uso de toda a consciência situacional promovida pela prática do Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn 六点半棍), isso é difícil. Mas acho que sei por quê. Não é por medo, é por não se estar disposto a se submeter a natureza deste domínio.

This story does not have an uplifting ending. It is still unfolding. One reflection I continue to have is how much this dedication to Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn 六点半棍) has led me to consider where I might simply be bold. I was seeking not to hesitate and, today, I have never found myself so hesitant. I think that, on some level, when you realise that it is time to make a “Biu Gwan 標棍 (biāo gùn 标棍)” and, through a miscalculation, your opponent hits you with another Biu Gwan 標棍 (biāo gùn 标棍), it is a dry pain. It hurts. So you think: staying in the shallow end is comfortable, jumping into the deep end is comfortable too. But entering the shallow end and gradually progressing towards the deep end, perhaps that is not so simple.

For those who prefer to stay only in the shallow end, should a major adversity arise from that, they can say: “I should never have got involved in this.

If you are the kind of person who throws yourself into the deep end, perhaps you will say: “Yes, I should have just dived in head first.

But consciously following the progression of a crisis, mitigating different situations and making use of all the situational awareness developed through the practice of Luk Dim Bun Gwan 六點半棍 (Liù Diǎn Bàn Gùn 六点半棍), that is difficult. But I think I know why. It is not because of fear, but because we are unwilling to submit ourselves to the nature of this domain.